Saturday, May 17, 2008

Father and Son golfing

Cameron, in his winsome way, has been yammering for weeks about going golfing, so today we hit the nearby par-3 course.

As we went along, I tried to teach him golf etiquette (the last kind of etiquette he has not yet learned to flout with impunity).

For example, after I had made a big divot, he asked why I was putting the sod back in place and stamping on it.

'You see, Cameron,' I gently taught, 'A good golfer tries to leave the course as he found it.'

Puzzled, he queried, 'But you're not a good golfer!'

Obviously he doesn't realize that the word 'good' has many different nuances.

Later on, I waxed philosophic, explaining the yin and yang of golf, commenting on how if I made a bad shot something good could still come of it, then I added, 'I usually don't make very good shots.'

'Yeah,' he chimed in, 'You usually suck!'

0 comments: