Friday, October 09, 2009

Be wary....very wary

6 months ago I purchased a book at the Library Book Sale. Library book sales are great because you can get books "cheap". Paperbacks are usually 50 cents and hardbacks $1. We take our carry-on suitcases and load them up with books for us and the kids. Louis and I look forward to going every time they have one. Last April, at the sale, I picked out
"The Emancipator's Wife" A Novel of Mary Todd Lincoln.
I started it about 1 month ago. While it was interesting it took some time to "develop" the story and it wasn't until almost page 200 that Mr. Lincoln and Mary Todd actually met. From then on it has been much more interesting.
Well...yesterday evening I pulled out my book to spend some time immersed in the life of Mr. Lincoln and Mary. Although it was only 9:30 and I wanted to continue to read I didn't. This is the page I stopped on.

WHY DID I STOP HERE YOU'RE WONDERING......

BECAUSE THIS WAS THE NEXT PAGE
This entire section of the book....pages 243 -274...are in the book twice. I wouldn't mind so much if only the pages 323-355 were in the book once! That's right. I am completely missing 32 pages of my book. No wonder the library was selling it.
Today there is another library book sale. I won't be going. I will instead write a letter to the publisher to see if I can somehow get the 32 pages I need.

3 comments:

calibosmom said...

Oh , that is truely annoying. I plan on reading that book-let me know how it is (plus the 32 pages).

Saquel25 said...

That happened to me recently. I emailed the publisher and within a week I had a brand new copy of the book with all the pages in my mailbox. I had a very apologetic email back and I was very satisfied with the result. Hopefully this will happen to you. It's SO frustrating to be into a book and then realize there are pages missing. Good luck!

Mamapierce said...

That happened to me once with an Italian/English English/Italian dictionary. It's amazing how many words you can miss from losing letters g through s. ;o)