Monday, January 29, 2007

A Dispassionate, Clinical Account (I.e., 'He Says')

At approximately 10:34 this morning, I received a call at work from Cindy.
She anxiously related that a carbon monoxide detector was going off.

I asked if both of the detectors were going off.
"No," she responded.
I asked which one of the two detector was going off.
She told me that it was the older one--the one that had caused a false alarm 3 years ago.
She further explained that she had turned the kerosene heater off about an hour earlier.

Having ascertained the pertinent facts, I reassured her that all was probably OK. I further said that she could call the fire department if she wished--the decision was hers, as she was still in her pajamas, etc. I further offered to come home if she wanted me to--I would meet her at Dean and Kay's house across the street.
Within seconds of hanging up, she called again and said that she wanted me to come home and that she was calling the FD.
I arrived home 10 minutes later, and after the FD came and ascertained that there was no carbon monoxide problem, I drove back to work.

As a countermeasure to such future false alarms, I will now be purchasing a CO detector with a readout that shows the current CO levels.
Problem solved!

0 comments: