Friday, February 02, 2007

The Killer Husband (i.e., 'She Says")

[This is space left open for Cindy to explain how she viewed the CO detector incident. When she has time she will surely write up some crazed account about an unfeeling husband and father who seemingly had no qualms about letting his family--even the sweet infant Allyson--suck up CO in copious quantities. Heck, he wasn't in the house himself, and besides, his wife's life insurance coverage had just been upped!
We await with baited breath....]

The wait is over...I am finally sitting down to tell the whole truth as it really happened.
It was a cold morning and I had been running the kerosene heater (as many times before). I turned it off so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping Allyson away from it. About 30 minutes later Makenna started complaining about her head hurting . I took her temp and she had no fever. I gave her some Motrin anyway, because she insited her head was really hurting her. While I was on the phone with a friend of mine the CO detector started beeping. I immediately hung up and started to assess what was going on. We have two detectors and only one was going off. Yes, it was the one that went off several years ago and the other one had had new batteries put in just a couple of days previous. I went right away to the kerosene heater to check that it had been turned off properly and even pushed the ememgency shut-off switch. I opened the sliding door (on an 18-degree day!) and went back upstairs to open another window. I phoned Louis to tell him the alarm was going off and the response he gave me was...."I am sure you are probably okay." Now that is not exactly the response you expect to get from your husband...father of your children....protector and provider. "I am sure you are PROBABLY okay." He figured that since only 1 was going off it was probably a false alarm. I asked if I should call the fire department and he said it was my decision. So I'm thinking, "You don't really care if we live or die. It is all my decision." Great feeling!
I was a little ticked off that he seemed so unconcerned about it and wondered how he would feel coming home from work and finding that his wife and two small children had died from CO poisoning. I decided to hang up. I had already grabbed Allyson out of her bed (where she had only been napping for 5 or 10 minutes) and told Makenna to get her socks and shoes on. I called Louis back at work and told him I was going to call the fire department. He wanted to know if I wanted him to come home???? HELLO!! The fire department is coming to your house because a carbon monoxide alarm has gone off and you are wondering if I want you to come home. What kind of a question is that? I didn't think it was one that really needed to be asked. It should have been like this. "I will be right there. Your lives may be in danger and I want to protect you and make sure everything is going to be okay. You are my life and I couldn't bear the thought of anything every happening to you or the kids."
But no....I had to tell him to come home.
As it turned out it was a faulty alarm but can a person be too careful? Needless to say I was a little disappointed in the reaction from my husband. Maybe I will forgive him.....one day.

0 comments: