Yesterday I took off an hour early from work to go home and work on the basement.
I quietly walked in from the garage to the kitchen, hoping to surprise Cindy. I saw her back as she was busily working at the stove.
I said, ‘Hi!’ and she slowly turned around to face me.
Her face and eyes were all red, with large tears were dripping down her cheeks--she had obviously been sobbing big-time--and she immediately put her hand up to stop me from talking and simply stated, ‘I can’t be around you right now!’ and then after a slight pause, asked, ‘Where are you going to be?’
Remaining mute, I pointed down towards the basement, and then she went on, ‘I can’t be in the same room as you right now.’
She then proceeded to quickly march out the garage door.
When I looked out 20 minutes later she was sitting in the passenger seat of the van, her face still red and her eyes heavy with tears.
She gave me a slight smile, and then leaned forward slightly as she continued to listen intently to the final chapter of the audio-book* on her I-Pod.
Obviously, thoughts of hearing my condescendingly good-natured chortles at her emotional state that would most assuredly be wafting in around her earbuds would not have been conducive to her enjoyment[?] of the denouement.
*The Book Thief
Friday, March 20, 2009
A Fond Welcome
Posted by daddo at 11:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i'm glad i wasn't the only one to completly ruin makeup when reading that book...i loved it!
I'm so glad you liked it. It is one of my favorite books now!
Post a Comment