On Saturday I joined Cameron and an entire herd (pod? gaggle? decibel? terror?) of Cub Scouts and their leaders to cut down the vermicious honeysuckle at Carriage Hill Metro Park.
The honeysuckle in question is a Chinese variant that had trouble growing in the area when it was planted in the US, so the government stepped in and of course it is now choking out all the native plants and trees in a number of states.
Gee. Who would've thought that a well-meant government program could've had such unintended results? [Insert deeply sarcastic tone here.]
But I digress....
According to the pre-event literature, only the 11-year old scouts would be wielding the pruning saws and loppers, but since I was with Cameron I let him go ahead and have some destructive fun. (I apologize for the fact that this may have directly resulted in every cub scout and even some pre-cub scouts ending up armed. But no one was hurt!)
We lopped and sawed and sawed and lopped, and 2 hours later Cameron was still a'rarin' to keep going. Being drawn to the saws, he took especial pleasure in finding big trunks to saw through.
I was really quite proud of him--he worked like a demon!
As he pronounced in the midst of his honeysuckle killing spree, 'The only thing funner than this is making fires!'
(Sadly, there were no cameras at the event....)
Monday, November 19, 2007
Timberrrrrrrr!
Posted by Erin at 10:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment