Monday, December 29, 2008

You're Never Too Old for An Object Lesson

I really don't like cell phones much. They are more of a pain than an aid, but there are just enough times when they are handy enough to justify their miserable existence (as long as it doesn't cost me more than $9/month).

As such, even if I am carrying it, I rarely have it turned on. I figure that if I need it I can turn it on then.

For some reason, this drives Cindy bonkers.

I can always tell when she has tried calling me while I have been out.

The tell-tale signs are subtle, yet discernable to the seasoned expert.

One indicator is the wild look in her eyes.

A second is when--in a deceptively calm manner--she queries, 'So dear, sweetie, honey, is your cell phone perchance turned on?'

Being an expert in subliminal messaging, I have learned it is not wise to chuckle heartily and retort, 'Why? It runs down the batteries! And then I couldn't use it at all!'

So this evening I took Erin and Cambone to the Y, and as a wallet, cell phone, and keys tended to turn my sweat pants into low riders, I put them in a locker. I would like to say that I remembered to turn the cell phone off before locking it up, but that would be a lie, because I never turned it on in the first place.

We were there for a good 2 hours, which was a bit longer than I had expected. I shot hoops and exercised with Erin, and Cambone played with some friends we saw and I had forced him to say 'Hi' to.

But I digress....

We got home at 7:03, and as we walked in the door I saw a wild look in Cindy's eyes. But even before I could fully interpret the nuances of this look, a deceptively calm look came over her face, and she made the statement, 'So, you didn't have your cell phone on, did you.'

I tried to explain that the cell phone had been locked up in order to prevent an unsightly and unseemly display, and thus that I hadn't had it on my person anyway.' I produced the phone to show her that I had carried it safely home.

'Hmmm,' she said to herself, taking the phone from my hand. 'This is obviously useless.' 'Oh,' she then said brightly, 'I know what to do with things that are useless!' She then proceeded to walk into the kitchen, then she tossed it into the garbage can, a rather pleased look on her face.

Thus endeth the object lesson.

I sure hope it'll stick! (Otherwise, it may be found sticking out of my back!)

PS: Cameron fished it out.....

3 comments:

jennifer said...

I'm with Cindy! It drives me absolutely BONKERS when Scott doesn't answer the phone.

He's with you. He hates the thing.

Grrr! You men just don't understand that when we need you, we need you!!!

Catherine said...

We have a problem with text messages not going through in a timely fashion. It has caused quite a bit of "tension" when someone insists on using texts instead of calls when he knows the texts may not come through til several hours--sometimes a day or two--later. Cell phones should make marriages better by being able to stay in touch. Right???

nicole said...

That's hilarious! Cindy, you crack me up. :)
By the way, do you have a sister from the Springboro Ward? She was featured in the New Years DVD last night that aired at youth activities around the world. Someone mentioned she was your sister!