There was a dinner/dance at the church on New Years Eve for the entire family, and I made the mistake of trying to explain this beforehand to Ally.
I should’ve known that after all the Barbie movies she had seen that she would get kinda excited when she heard about a ‘dance.’ So every day that week she kept asking me with great expectations, 'Go to the church today?' and she would get a dejected look (or get mad) when I told her it was still a couple days off.
Of course, even I was looking forward to it. I envisioned Ally and I dancing a couple dances, with me holding her and doing the fancy footwork as we danced cheek-to-cheek. I also envisioned dancing many times with Erin, Kenner, and Cindy.
However, once the music started, Ally urged/pushed/shoved me out onto the dance floor and made it quite clear that she wasn’t going to be held--she was going to keep her feet on the floor and dance, dance dance! She took me by the hand and began doing what might be best described as the 'Tornado Dance.'
This is a dance where one partner (Ally in this case) holds onto one hand of the other partner (me) runs and runs and runs and runs around them in circles. I would keep up for a couple turns before getting dizzy, but after that I would stay in place and just skillfully pass her hand from one hand to the other as she continued revolving around me.
When Kenner tried to cut in, Ally made it very clear that she wasn't at all pleased. As Cindy carried Ally away kicking and screaming, I was then able to dance a couple with Kenner, but after that Ally again charged out and took over.
By 11 PM Ally seemed to be getting tired, so I carried her out into the hallway, hoping she would go to sleep. But the moment I walked back into the gym she perked up, said, ‘Dance, daddy, DANCE!’ and we ended up doing the tornado dance many more times.
At midnight she was still going strong!
So for the night: 10+ dances with Ally, 2~3 dances with Kenner (she showed a lot of potential!), 1 dance with Erin (though I tried to get her out to dance more!), and 1 dance together with Erin and Cindy.
Saturday, January 03, 2009
It was like 12 Dancing Princesses--on Steroids!
Posted by daddo at 8:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
As an observer of the tornado dance, I can only say - Better you than me!! LOL
Post a Comment