Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A New Church Program?

Yesterday (Monday) it was approaching dinnertime, but there was no activity in the kitchen. Cindy had been working around the house all day, and the kids had been coerced/bribed/threatened into helping to at least some extent.
I jokingly said, ‘Even though it is Family Home Evening night, maybe just you and I should go out for dinner!’
Cindy instead suggested that we all go to CiCi’s for dinner, because kids eat free on Mondays. (She knows that the word ‘free’ unlocks even my miserly heart.)
When we told the kids, they were ecstatic to the point of bouncing off walls, off each other, off furniture, all the while yipping with glee.
Sadly, such antics quickly deteriorated into miasmic chaos, and we ended up calling the whole outing off.
Out came the leftovers, and a quite delicious (and nutritious), cheap, and eclectic meal was enjoyed by all--or at least by those not pouting mightily with ‘What did I do?’ written all over their faces. (These just happened to also be the primary contributors to the above-mentioned chaos.)
Anyway, after we had eaten, Cindy looked at me and said, ‘Maybe just the two of us should’ve gone out for dinner.’
I replied, ‘Yeah. We could have called it ‘Leaving the Family Home’ Evening.
I didn’t think my phrasing was transcendently comedic, but Cindy couldn’t stop laughing for 2 full minutes. (I guess a full day alone with surly kids can do that to you!)

Even I admit that the more I think about this idea the greater its appeal becomes.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I think it should be passed into law - well at least commandment! Great idea! I am instituting this in my family!

Saquel25 said...

I think I'm gonna suggest it to Gary. I'm sure the kids can take care of themselves.

jennifer said...

Hilarious! (Your comment - not the chaos!)

Enriquez Family said...

Good idea! I can totally see where your coming from though.

Shara said...

I'm so glad to know that this sort of chaos and consequence happens in other families too!

Lilola said...

Now if you would like some adult companionship, Ronald darling and I might be persuaded. LOL