Saturday, June 07, 2008

We always wondered what made Kenner tick!

WARNING: THIS BLOG ENTRY IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR THOSE WHO ARE EASILY PRONE TO NAUSEA, VOMITING, OR MENTAL IMAGES BEING SEARED INTO THEIR MINDS LIKE A HOT BRANDING IRON ON RAW LIVER.

ANY FURTHER VIEWING OF THIS BLOG ENTRY IS TAKEN UNDER YOUR OWN RECOGNITION OF THE RISKS INVOLVED, AND THE OWNERS OF THIS BLOG BEAR NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURY, MENTAL OR PHYSICAL (E.G., AS YOU TRY TO RUN TO THE NEAREST BARF BAG).

So anyway, as I was downstairs I heard Cindy yelling out for me from the upstairs. I could tell from the thinly veiled frantic tone that it was a 'I found a big spider' or 'I found a big moth' notification.

I trotted up the stairs and found her in the kids' bathroom, where she had been brushing Kenner's hair.

Her lips frozen in a rictus of terror, she pointed to the top of Kenner's head, and said, 'LOOKATTHAT!!!'

What I saw was this....



....a tick who had obviously been having a good feast. (This is the little rascal after removal. It is about 1/2" long (wide??). Though a hungry tick is small and as hard as flint, a well-fed tick is soft and rubbery and looks like it has swallowed an inflatable raft and then pulled the inflation cord.)

I got onto the Internet to find the best way to remove it, then found the tweezers and did the dirty deed. (As soon as I started, Cindy dashed out of the room....At the time I wondered if it was just envy that was making her so green....)

Kenner was a champ as I carefully extracted it along with a nice little chunk of her scalp, and only began crying when we applied some antiseptic.

We are keeping it in a bag ("PUT IT OUT IN THE GARAGE WHERE I CAN’T SEE IT!!" Cindy said...) just in case Kenner comes down with a rash or fever, etc.

On the bright side, at least it wasn't lice!
(Then again, Makenna is now saying that her scalp is itchy....)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They must be bad this year--we found one on W's head last Saturday. N~ just happened to have his yearly ped. appointment two days later, so I asked her if we should be at all concerned. She said to just watch for any rash or fever, and bring him in if anything of that nature shows up in the next couple of weeks. I don't know that you need to keep it, though. Just make sure to give it a firey death when you do decide to dispose of it--they don't squish.

Deena said...

That thing is so gigantic! Did it come free with the new house?

Shara said...

Ugh -- I'm shuddering! Mckenna is a real trooper!