Sunday, August 17, 2008

Whispering sweet nothings.....

Holding Allyson as I cheered Kenner on during her first soccer game on Saturday (it ended up tied at 1-1), I felt a small pocket of air in my esophagus working its way up--a proto-burp, as it were.

Snuggling Allyson close to me, I nuzzled her ear and let loose.

For whatever reason (though I can't think of any offhand as of this writing), she was completely unphased.

I was quite deflated--either she had blithely ignored it or, even worse, it had lacked the punch to even register.

Then, in a moving gesture that almost brought tears of joy to my eye, she cocked her head to look at me, then turned her head around so that her other ear was near me, and exclaimed, 'Daddy! In my other ear! In other ear!'

Sadly, I had only had that one burp, so in this one case I couldn't fulfill her deepest wishes.

As a sidenote, in the past month or so Erin has mastered the skill of burping at will (a skill I was never able to develop, though not through lack of trying)--and this despite not having been around any of my brothers since last summer. (Of course, Uncle Wezzo has been relatively close (in DC) for a couple weeks, so perhaps there is some telepathy going on?)

0 comments: