Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's Not Fair!

My oldest daughter can be quite a joy...at times, at other times....not so much.
Mornings. Not so much. Today....definitely not so much!
We have the luxury of having the school bus pick the kids up right in front of our house and taxi them to school. I love it. He comes at 8:20 and they need to be ready by then.
Every morning I go into each of the kids' rooms and wake them up at 7:30. I am nice about how I wake them up. None of the light flipping on or banging pots and pans or spraying water in their faces. Instead, I lovingly go in and rub their back and whisper, "It's time to get up. Rise and shine little sweetie pie, sweet noogie, sugar plum princess." etc. etc.
Allyson and Cameron usually greet me before I greet them. They are always waiting. Makenna will try to roll the other direction (probably so I will rub her back) but when I leave her room she follows--usually within 15 seconds. Erin...not so much.

This is how it went with Erin today.

Me: "Erin, it's time to get up."
Erin, adjusting to see the clock: "NO!"
Me: "Yes Erin. It is 7:30 and time to get up."
Erin: "NO!"
Me: "Yes. Get up and come get your breakfast."
Erin: "NO!"
I exit the room gritting my teeth and go see my other children who will be nice.
Sometime in the next 10 minutes (so it is now 7:40) she stumbles downstairs and after using the bathroom comes to get breakfast.
After messing around with the other kids and all of them bickering about something that has absolutely no meaning I try repeatedly to get her to eat quicker and "Get upstairs to take your shower!"
ME: "Get upstairs and take your shower! It is almost 8:00!!"
Erin: She ignores me and continues to goof around.
Me: "Go now and get your shower! You are running out of time!!"
Erin: No response.
Me: "GO SHOWER! NOW!!!!"

She goes upstairs and continues to goof off with Cameron while the water is running for the shower. The time is now 8:03. (Remember, the bus comes at 8:20. Arrrgh.)

Me: "GET IN THE SHOWER NOW!"
Erin: "Ha Ha Ha! I'm going!" (Spoken with attitude, of course.)
Me: "I will not be coming to knock on the door to tell you that it is time to get out. You are on your own and if you miss the bus then I will be waking you up at 7 AM every day."
That will teach her, I'm sure. At this point I start secretly hoping she will miss the bus. Ahhh yes. What a great lesson she would learn. She would definitely realize Mom is right and she should always listen to her and be respectful.

She finally emerges from the shower at 8:12. (Remember, the bus comes at 8:20.)
At 8:17 I am downstairs urging the other kids to get their shoes on, etc., and Erin is still upstairs doing .....I don't know what. I wasn't looking in on her.

8:19.
Me: "The bus is at Samuel's house." (This is 2 stops from our house.)
Erin calling from upstairs: "ARE YOU SERIOUS?'
Me, with a slight tone of 'I told you so' drippng from my voice: "It sure is!!" (Smiling from ear to ear---well at least inside I was.)
Erin: "WHERE IS MY BACKPACK?"
Me: "I have no idea."
Erin: "CAN YOU FIND IT FOR ME?'
Me: "No."
Cameron: "HURRY ERIN! THE BUS IS AT SETH'S" (1 stop from our home.)

Erin rushes downstairs, throws her socks on, and grabs her shoes, at which point Cameron yells, "DON'T EVEN UNTIE THEM. JUST SLIP THEM ON! HURRY ERIN!"

How sweet for him to be so concerned about her missing the bus. Here it is pulling up in front of our house. Cameron and Makenna are out on the porch, not knowing what to do. Should they go without Erin?

Cameron: "Mom. The bus is here."
Me: "Go get on it. Bye, I love you. Have a great day."
Makenna: "What about Erin?"
Me: "Don't worry about Erin. You two kids just go. I love you."
Cameron: "Is Erin going to miss the bus?"
Me: "I think so. It's okay." (to myself...'actually it's great!! Now she will really learn a lesson.')

Erin continues to run around like a chicken with her head cut off. Her school items are right on the floor in the den, somewhat scattered around. Her sweatshirt is inside out and the zipper of her backpack won't zip. I keep waiting for the bus to drive off. Why is it still there?

Erin: "Is he waiting for me?"
Me: "I don't know. If he is, you had better just grab your stuff and go."

As she throws her coat on I mention,
"By the way, tomorrow I will be waking you up at 7:00."
Erin: "UUUHHH! THAT'S NOT FAIR!"
Me: "Have a great day. I love you."

It's not fair? It's not fair? It's not fair? It's not fair?
No it is not fair.

It's not fair that I have to wake her up every morning only to be treated rudely.
It's not fair that I have to get upset with her before she will get in the shower.
It's not fair that because she runs late every day I am the one running around for her backpack, finding her jacket, etc.
It's not fair that her room is left in a disgusting mess because she is always running late out the door.
and.....

It is especially not fair that our bus driver is so dang patient!

4 comments:

jennifer said...

Oh, man. Now I feel AWFUL about aaaaallll those mornings growing up that I did that to MY mom.

I think I'll go call her and apologize...

Saquel25 said...

Patience is so totally overrated. I can't wait until my children don't want to get up. At this point I don't believe it'll ever happen. Swap me Erin for any of my three for a week and we'll be happy!

Anonymous said...

MAN! Bus Drivers!

HannahEli said...

I have to wake up at 6:00 and sometimes 5:30, matters what I have to do. Our bus comes at 7:10 but we have to leave at 7:05 to walk to our bus stop. I don't even get to school until like 1 min. before the bell. Wow, you guys can't complain!!! I wish I could wake up that late!!! Do you mind if I move in?