About a week ago Cindy called me at work to tell me something or other of importance.
After that she began talking about something that she had heard about or seen. She went into great detail.
I began multitasking, typing away on a translation.
Shortly thereafter she stopped in mid-sentence, paused slightly, and then commented, 'I don't know why I am talking to you like this--like I would talk to a girlfriend--thinking that you even really care.'
Without missing a typing beat, I adroitly replied, 'Did you say something?'
No, I actually replied something along the lines of 'Oh, I don't mind listening.' but I was probably lacking the requisite ring of sincerity. (She's already wearing the other ring of sincerity!)
That ended that conversation, and it may be that we both ended it a little wiser.
Then again, as Cindy is already wise, maybe she just had someone else calling in on the other line!
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Small Talk
Posted by daddo at 3:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Cindy, you can always call me and talk to me if Louis doesn't want to talk. This sounds like a conversation I would have with Mike, only at night when he wants to be asleep.
Ha ha, I forget this as well and tend to bore Eldon with the details---
Post a Comment