Thursday, November 23, 2006

Role Reversals

It was a nippy Thanksgiving morn, with wintry frost decorating the grass. The constellation Orion was slowly sinking in the western sky. It was 3:45 AM.

Cindy was oblivious. She had only one thing on her mind....shopping, shopping, and then more shopping. Unconsciously pulling the warm covers up to her chin, she restlessly (yet very gingerly--she had been the chiropractor the previous morning) turned onto her side, and continued dreaming of blazing-hot sales.

I, on the other hand, was on my way to the local Meijer's to get a place in line for a 6AM door-buster I-Pod for Cindy (it's no secret, so no cats are getting out of their bags). Arriving at the 24-hour store, I spent 20 minutes trying to find someone who knew where the line was, thereby finally ascertaining that there was no line yet. I got some door-busting cashews, cheese, and coconut shampoo, then I moseyed to spot where the line was to be. There was even a stool there! I pulled out my handy Sudoku book. By 5 AM we were a line of 8. By 6 AM it was a line of 50.

I walked out of the store with my purchases at 6:10 AM.

I dropped the big-ticket items (something secret for the kids too) at home, then went to wait at K-Mart for their 7 AM sale.

At 7:10 I walked out of there with 50 blank DVDs and something for Cindy. I got home at 7:15, finding Cindy still in bed.

Tomorrow Cindy and I will reverse roles. Of course, she will shop all day with friends, eat a nice lunch with friends, while I watch all 4 kids.

Still, she will do 98% of the Christmas shopping, so it seems like a fair trade!

0 comments: