Monday, July 21, 2008

all the stars lined up!

The kids have been out of school for about 6 1/2 weeks now (but who's counting?) Most of the time I feel like the days fly by in a blur. Nothing really ever get done. The laundry hampers are filled almost before I have them emptied. The house is constantly a mess. We go through 150 Popsicles a day and still (or so it seems) they can't get enough. Friends, sprinklers, free movies, bowling, bike riding, sleep-overs, a trip to the zoo and still "I'm bored" is one of the most common phrases around here!
Today it seems as though we are living in a fantasy world. I decided that instead of complaining about the kids never helping with the mess in the house I should be more pro-active. A year or so ago I had a great chore system that worked great...for a while. Then it lost its power. It has now been resurrected. The kids all had chores to do before watching TV, sitting at the computer, talking on the phone, or playing with friends. This included getting dressed (Erin hated that stipulation!), brushing teeth, and combing hair. I am just amazed at the difference in our home today.
These are some of the things that have gotten done today.

1/2 bath cleaned
full bath cleaned
family room cleaned
walls scrubbed
basement picked up and vacuumed
beds made in all bedrooms,
all bedrooms cleaned
3 loads of laundry washed and dried
trip to the store
dinner made for a friend
babysitting for a friend

Now it may seem the miracle is the "getting done" of all these things, but to me the real miracle is that all these things got done without fighting. Can you believe it? Makenna helped Cameron scrub the toilet because she wanted to. She and Cameron read their scripture together. They helped each other pick up in their rooms and enjoyed playing together.
This makes for a super-happy mom! I even had time to do some reading this afternoon. Ahhhhh...the stars were in alignment today!

4 comments:

nicole said...

Awesome! I LOVE days like that! It's amazing how much better we feel (as moms) when the house is neat and organized. Congrats on what sounds like a VERY productive and fulfilling day!

Mamapierce said...

That is AWESOME! Those days are the best ever! :o) Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I've been slacking in our chores system too. You have inspired me! :) I get them to do work but it is always with bickering and fighting. But like you when those expectations were in place first then the work got done....and peacefully too! Thanks... as John Rosemond would say "Kid's it's over!" haha

Deena said...

Sounds fabulous! I especially love the help cleaning the toilet part. :)