Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Have I created a monster??

Late last night I helped Erin get started on a free online beginning Japanese course (Mango Languages). In no time at all she was saying “Hello, how are you?” in perfectly pronounced Japanese.

A mere 30 minutes later she had already turned it into performance art (i.e., she was hamming it up big-time!)

She took the phrase ‘O-namae wa?’ (‘What is your name?’) and, reminiscent of a sick mynah bird who has watched too many Chinese B-movies, repeatedly squawked out a throaty ‘O-namae waaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?’

Ditto with any other phrase with a ‘wa’ at the end.

Konnichi waaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....
Anata waaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

She was having a grand old time.

I then drilled her on the Japanese for 'What is this?' (Nan desu ka?)

She then started pointing at Cindy (who was oblivious to it all as she read her book) and making strange faces and saying 'Nan desu ka? Nan desu ka?' The obvious nuance (?) was 'What is this thing lying on the bed?'

However, it was 11:15 PM, and we finally shooed her out and to bed.

O-yasumi nasai!

0 comments: